Benitez committed to Newcastle

12 August 2017 10:21:02 EST

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez says he remains committed to the club despite admitting frustration in the transfer market.

United return to the Premier League after a single season in the Championship and start off at home to last season's runners up, Tottenham on Sunday.

I'm here. My commitment is 100 per cent. I will try to do my best.

Rafael Benitez

Despite winning instant promotion, there have been question marks over the manager's future at St James' Park, due to his frustrations in bringing in new players to boost their hopes this season.

Five new players have come in so far but he wants more with one of those possibly being Chelsea's Kenedy on loan.

So, the summer on Tyneside has been dominated by talk on whether Benitez, having won over the supporters, would remain for their Premier League return.

Benitez says, in response, that he remains committed to the club as he searches for new recruits.

He told a press conference ahead of the Spurs opener: "We have a massive club and a city behind the team, so we can improve. But we have to do things thinking about football, that is the key. If you are successful on the pitch, everything else will come.

"I'm here. My commitment is 100 per cent. I will try to do my best. If you have two or three new players, or five or six or eight, it doesn't matter. What we have to be sure is that the 25 players that we will have will give everything."

Newcastle are 15/4 to start off the new season with a win. Mauricio Pochettino's side, who have also been frustrated in their attempts to get new signings are 4/5 with the draw priced at 14/5.

Harry Kane is 8/11 to score at any time during the game.

Jacob Murphy, Javier Manquillo and Florian Lejeune could all feature for Newcastle after their summer moves.

Dwight Gayle, so important in the side's instant promotion, could also be available after recent hamstring problems.

View all Soccer betting