Hodge lends support to Maxwell
Glenn Maxwell has another former Test player backing him to win the nod to bat at No.6 for Australia in the Ashes series.
Brad Hodge believes selectors should stick with the all-rounder for the start of the series, with the issue of who will be picked to bat at No.6 the main question ahead of selectors announcing the squad for the first Test on Friday.
Maxwell and Western Australia's Hilton Cartwright are the two most recent occupants of the role, but there's still a chance Cameron Bancroft could sneak in thanks to his form in the Sheffield Shield for WA.
Hodge says fellow Victorian Maxwell has shown he can thrive in the face of adversity.
"I think he's earned the opportunity," said Hodge, who has signed with Melbourne Renegades for the next Big Bash season. "No-one has jumped out of their skin to try and take that position.
"I definitely think he's got the technique to come in at 4-100 when Australia's under pressure.
"That's the one thing people need to clarify. It's not coming in at 4-270 when you're already in front, it's coming in under pressure, and that's one of the things selectors will probably look at."
Hodge has followed Test greats Shane Warne and Michael Slater in declaring that Maxwell deserves to play in his first Test series on home soil.
The 29-year-old has played seven Tests so far, averaging 26.07 with the bat with a highest score of 104, while with the ball he has taken eight wickets, while he had the distinction of opening the batting and bowling in the same Test against India in Delhi in 2013.
View all Cricket betting