Quigg misses out on world title shot
Scott Quigg has admitted he was surprised not to make the weight for his featherweight bout after missing out on the chance to challenge Oscar Valdez for his WBO title.
The British fighter was looking to become a two-weight world champion in Los Angeles in the early hours of Sunday morning by taking Valdez's belt.
However, while the fight will still go ahead, it will now be a non-title contest after Quigg weighed-in over the 128lbs limit.
The 29-year-old was 2.8lbs over the limit and was therefore not allowed the time to try and shed the weight before fight night.
After losing the chance to fight the unbeaten Valdez for the WBO featherweight championship, Quigg admitted he was surprised he was so far over the limit, claiming he had been on tract to make the weight.
"I have tried everything. Everything was on track," Quigg said. "I was three-pound over yesterday morning, got up and did three sessions yesterday. It didn't budge.
"I apologise to Oscar and his team. I can show you exactly what I have done, the weight was perfect. It just wouldn't shift yesterday. I tried and tried, and I have not stopped trying.
"I don't want to jeopardise my health but believe me I tried and I am devastated really, because I have come here to win that world title."
Valdez has branded Quigg "unprofessional" for failing to make the weight and says he will be fully focused on extending his 23-fight unbeaten streak in Los Angeles.
Quigg is 3/1 to win the contest, while Valdez is 2/9.
View all Boxing betting