O'Brien ponders Caravaggio options

17 July 2017 07:10:39 EST

Caravaggio could still be heading to Australia for the $10million The Everest despite losing his unbeaten record at the weekend.

Caravaggio finished fourth behind Harry Angel in Saturday's Group One July Cup over six furlongs at Newmarket, leading to doubts over where he will head next.

Trainer Aidan O'Brien has since revealed that part-owner John Magnier has his eye on a Group One sprint in France, but a trip down under for the Everest also looks to be on the cards.

"The lads will obviously decide what's next, but John (Magnier) was just saying that we might have a look at the Maurice de Gheest," O'Brien said.

"He was just saying that to me this morning, but we'll see how he is after a week or 10 days. I think the Everest (in Australia) is still on the table. If he went to France that could be very much on still."

The Prix Maurice de Gheest will be run on 6th August and last year's winner Signs Of Blessing has also been touted as a possible contender for a slot in The Everest.

O'Brien has also suggested a final decision on The Everest would be made after the Deauville race.

"After France, the lads would have to make a decision what they want to do," O'Brien said. "Whether they want to go to Australia - I imagine if he was going there he would have to have a little break.

"Either that or he'd just keep going on, to York or somewhere. We'll try to get to the next one first and see how we go."

Caravaggio is 999/1 to win The Everest, with Chautauqua 5/1 and Russian Revolution 999/1.

View all Horse Racing betting